Saturday, October 27, 2012

Perky Pinks...

Y'all know I don't miss an episode of Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta. How can you not love Monte, Flo, and Lori? Even Jace loves Monte! Last night was a special, Say Yes to a Cure: Lori's fight. Did any of you watch? I sure did and cried and laughed throughout the entire hour.

Breast cancer affects so many people each year; I am sure you know someone who has been affected by cancer. Last night after watching Lori's story I was inspired and since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I thought I would share my story about my scare with potential breast cancer in 2010. Here is my story...

In Spring 2010, Teak and I were watching the CATS play during basketball season. I was on the couch and while covered under a blanket I did a self examination of my breasts. I felt a lump about the size of pea. I was on my cycle and thought, "oh that is there because of my cycle". I told Jace about it that night but tried not to think about it again. Next month, I checked again and it was still there. I lived with this little secret until late summer. I didn't want to scare anyone with my news but I just can't keep secrets. I finally told my Mom...the day before Jace and I were heading out of town on vacation. You best believe Sandy Keith was worried and I was given strick instructions to get it checked out as soon as we returned from Hilton Head. Shortly later, I had my annual checkup with my gynecologist and they always do an examination of your breasts. I mentioned it to her and that is where the ball starting rollin...

In July 2010, I started my job and moved back up to Lexington after two months of summer vacation in Mayfield. God knew what he was doing by giving me a job in Lexington because UK has one of the best breast cancer treatment centers, the Markey Cancer Center. My gynecologist had sent my paperwork to the Markey Center and I had an ultrasound. While waiting for the ultrasound, I was scared and nervous. I promised myself then and there that I would never ignore or wait as long as I did about an issue with my health.

My ultrasound tech was AMAZING. Stephanie kept me calm and talked me through what she was doing. Of course, I wanted her to look at me and tell me that I would be fine and it was nothing. That wasn't the case. After the results of the ultrasound, I was told they wanted to do a biopsy. This had me frightened that it was something serious and it doesn't help that I hate needles. I went in for my biopsy and my girl Stephanie was back with me. Stephanie and another nurse, Lori, were my girls. They did my prep work and kept me so calm. My doctor, Dr. Gibbs, was outstanding. Now I talk all the time but when I am in any doctor's office, I talk extensively! I mainly talk about reality TV and sing rap songs...sounds crazy I know, but I don't have to think about these topics and it keeps everything light hearted.

Thankfully Lori and I watch the Real Housewives and if I am lying I am dying, we talked about the Housewives while Dr. Gibbs did the biopsy. Lori held my hand the entire time and Stephanie assisted Dr. Gibbs. I was numb and Dr. Gibbs only had to make a small incision.

It took some time for the results of the biopsy to come back. Dr. Heather Wright and the rest of the team at the Markey Center sat around and talked about my biopsy and determined it would be best if I had the small lump removed. The biopsy revealed that I had atypical hyperplasia of the breast. Basically what that is, it is a precancerous condition that affects the cells of the breast. It is an accumulation of abnormal cells in a breast duct or lobule. It isn't cancer but it can develop into breast cancer. There aren't any signs or symptoms and it is not clear what causes this.

Here I was 22, in Graduate School, new on the job, with perky pink breasts and I was worried about cells turning into breast cancer. To say I was scared was an understatement. I distinctly remember one day, I just lost it. I was at work, trying to prepare for a Master's Committee meeting, and I just couldn't hold the tears back. Jennifer came in and just let me cry. Jennifer's solution to any problem is a Coke. Turns out that Coke was exactly what I needed and I calmed down and entered that meeting like nothing was wrong.

Mom was there with me when Dr. Wright told me that the lump needed to be removed and she and Teak were with me when it was removed. My surgery was early in the morning and honey once that IV went in, it was smooth sailing. I had to repeat my name, birthday, and which breast was being operated on about 15,000 times. Probably the hardest part was when it was go time. They had to wheel me away from Mom and Teak and I knew I had to keep it together for Mom. If I lost it, she would too. We were all scared but didn't want to say a thing. The mood was lightened when we saw how good looking my anaesthesiologist was! Honey, by this time I felt like everyone in Lexington, KY had seen my boobs and quite frankly I was fine with that. I knew these people were helping me.

The wheeled me back I remember there was good music on in the operating room, they started the anaesthesia, and had me count back from 10. I don't remember which number I got to and then it was over. Fluff, another fun nurse, wheeled me to a recovery room. I had a moment just to myself and they brought me a Sprite. It was over. The tears came but it was mainly due to the anaesthesia. Mom and Teak were quick to come to my recovery room and then I got to go home. I don't remember any pain and honestly felt fine. I took it easy that weekend and was back to work the next week on Tuesday.

I have a very small incision on my left breast but it is covered when I have my bra or bathing suit on. I can feel where the lump was removed but I don't miss it. I share my story because it is so important for women to have regular mammograms and do your self checks. There are several ways to do a self-check:

1. In the shower

  • Place on hand behind your head.
  • Use the finger pads of your 3 middle fingers to move your hand over entire breast area.
  • Use right hand for left breast, left hand for right.
  • You can use a circle, up and down, or wedge pattern when feeling for lumps, knots, or thickenings.

2. Before a Mirror

  • With your hands firmly pressing down on your hips, check for changes in the shape, size, or skin texture of your breasts. Then raise you arms overhead and check again. Check nipples for any unusual discharge.

3. Lying Down

  • To examine your right breast, place a pillow under your right shoulder and your right hand behind your head.
  • With the finger pads of your left hand, examine your right breast using either the up and down line, the circle, or the wedge pattern. Check for lumps, knots, or thickenings.
  • After examining your entire breast, lower your right arm slowly and use your left hand to feel your right underarm. Then switch the pillow to your left shoulder, put your left arm behind your head and repeat steps with right hand on left breast and underarm.
I try to do these whenever I think about it. Ideally you should do this monthly. I am fine now and haven't had any lumps since. I am thankful for the wonderful doctors and nurses at the Markey Center. The girls that took care of me have a special place in my heart. It wasn't long after my surgery that many of us became friends on Facebook. We even had lunch together one day on campus.

I tell you all of this to stress the importance of doing self examinations. If you are young, keep those perky pinks in check! If you are a mature woman, don't ignore your mammogram appointments.

Now go do your self examination!

No comments:

Post a Comment