Saturday, April 7, 2012

Overwhelmed

What a beautiful day it is in the Bluegrass! I hope you have a second to get out an enjoy this weather! Weather like this makes you excited to head to church tomorrow for Easter service!

Well, yesterday was the big day. I am happy to say everything went well and I now have my Master's degree! This was a 3 semester process and I am truly proud of my creative project. I learned many things throughout this process. I learned that if you break down a big project into manageable ones, you will feel accomplished throughout the journey. This helps keep your motivation going and you don't get overwhelmed. I also learned how important it is to surround yourself with supporters. People who support you and love you will make sure that you finish what you started. I have numerous people to thank and they too have earned a Master's degree with me.

I want to share my acknowledgements page of my creative project with you. These people deserve so much recognition and I could not have done this without them.

This creative project would have not been possible without some significant people in my life. I first have to thank my Lord. Every sentence, paragraph, page, and chapter was prayed about. I repeated Philippians 4:13 (I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me) many times throughout this project and am thankful for the strength God gave me to complete my Master’s coursework and my creative project. I pray that I will continue to give all glory to Him and trust in His plans.
            I am thankful for the guidance, positivity, reassurance, and enduring support from my Master’s Chair, Dr. Richard Maurer. Dr. Maurer, you gave me the confidence I needed to write each chapter and were always encouraging. You allowed me to realize that I can tackle a project as big as this and always made sure I answered why. Thank you for making me a critical thinker! You are an asset to Cooperative Extension, the College of Agriculture, and the students you teach.
I also have to thank my committee members, Dr. Donna Smith and Dr. Ken Jones. Dr. Smith, you have been a constant in my undergraduate and Master’s career. Thank you for your guidance and more importantly your friendship. Dr. Jones, thank you for your support and more importantly, your critical eye in evaluating Cooperative Extension programs. Appreciation and thankfulness also goes to my editor and friend, Karin Pekarchik. Your edits and suggestions have strengthened my writing and made me incredibly proud to call this project my own.
            This Master’s creative project is shared with my mother, Sandy Keith. Mom, you may not know it but you have earned a Master’s degree as well. You have listened to phone calls about worry, elation, and regular updates and in doing so you have worried, shared in my excitement, and tracked my progress. I share this with you. I also thank you for the lessons you have taught me that cannot be learned in a classroom. Thank you for teaching me to be an independent woman, a caring friend, and a loving daughter. I will pass these lessons onto my children and hope to do half of the job you have done with Ross and I. I love you Mom!
            Two influential people have given a rich journey though out college and my lifetime. Dr. Mack Whiteker and Joanne Whiteker are lovingly referred to as Poppa and T-Cock (Teak). Poppa, your spirit and presence have been with me through my entire Extension career. Your stories live on and the impact you made on the College of Agriculture and Cooperative Extension is apparent today. I am eternally grateful to hear these stories and to be your granddaughter. Thank you for teaching me to open a presentation with a laugh and to feed people well at meetings. To my Teak, my roommate, my supporter, my encourager, and friend. We share a special bond that goes beyond grandmother-granddaughter. You have seen me day-in and day-out throughout my Master’s and I am thankful that we can share this time together. The simple things you do for me do not go unnoticed—the hot meals, a warm bed, a loving home. You are the glue that has held me together throughout my college and Master’s career. You also hold our family together and always will. Thank you!
            Finally, this creative project would not have been possible without Jace Stamper. Lee, you are home to me. I find refuge, strength, encouragement, peace, contentment, and joy in you. Thank you for pushing me and never letting me lose sight of what I can accomplish. Watching you succeed inspires me and makes me want to accomplish more. Words are inadequate to express the love I have for you. Thank you for teaching me how to love and showing me that love is possible. You have taught me how to dream and I cannot wait to accomplish our dreams together. Our “one day” is just around the corner and I cannot wait to travel on our adventure together. 

I also have to thank my two girlfriends: Whitney and Lauren. They were beyond precious yesterday and sent me beautiful flowers. The flowers arrived at the perfect time. I was sitting in my office and was beginning to panic and worry. That all went away when these beauties came in the room!

Do I have the best girlfriends or what?

Mom traveled up for my defense and left Mayfield at 5:45 AM (that is a momma's love!). She picked up Teak and together they cheered me on throughout my presentation. My supervisor, Jeanne, also sat in (so sweet!). After an hour of presenting and answering questions, my committee made their decision and then congratulated me. Of course, there were plenty of hugs to go around! When I got home, my Mom had these waiting for me (UK blue themed!)



Then the outpouring of congratulations and support came via Facebook. I am so overwhelmed by the support, love, kind words, and congratulatory messages! Needless to say, yesterday was a GREAT day!

Let the excitement, joy, and overwhelming feeling continue because tomorrow our Savior rises! Up from the grave he arose! Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment