Sunday, July 1, 2012

Seaside

Seaside, Florida. That is where Jace and I vacationed this year. We gave up our love of Hilton Head Island and decided to explore some place new. We knew it would be easier for me to fly to MS and vacation somewhere in Alabama or Florida than for Jace to drive all the way to South Carolina. We discovered Seaside, did some research, and decided to go here this year.

After we had a fabulous dinner laughing and catching up with MC Law friends, which I describe HERE, we got up the next morning and made our routine stop at Broadstreet Bakery. Jace and I love it there! We go every time I am in town and don't have to look at the menu anymore. Their food is excellent but more importantly our conversations are wonderful here. We were excited to get on the road and had about a 6 hour drive ahead of us.

On this 6 hour drive, Jace and I talked the whole time. It is rare to have this much time with him and we got caught up on so many things. He filled me in about work and the cases he is working on. I may not understand law (at all!!!) but I like knowing what Jace does each day. We talked so much that our voices were sore and before we knew it, we were in Seaside. Seaside is on Santa Rosa beach, just past Destin and Fort Walton beaches.

We couldn't get into our house until 4 PM and had some time to kill, so we walked around the main area and discovered a good ice cream shop, got a cone, and headed to the beach. The waves were rough and little did we know at that time our good friend Debby, the Tropical storm, was starting to make her appearance. We got into our home a little before 4 and it was cute! I had researched the home, made the contact, and took care of everything since Jace was busy with school when I booked it. We literally had been waiting 6 months for this vacation and the condo met all our expectations. It was perfect for the two of us.

"Sunrise" our home during vacation
That night we had a quick bite to eat since we had ice cream at 4 and got settled in. The next day we headed to the beach and we were ready. It is important to note that we applied SPF 50 before heading out. We stayed on the beach all day. Jace turns into a fish when he gets near water and he was braving the rough waves. I tried my hand at it and didn't last too long. I was beat down every time and it plum weared me out! That day we stayed out on the beach until 6 PM. The 5 o'clock hour is my favorite time to be on the beach. The families have packed up, the crowds are gone, and the beach is quiet and remote. The sun is starting to set and for me it is one of the most peaceful and spiritual places to be. Jace and I didn't talk too much during this time. I think we were both soaking up the beach and being with each other.


That night we had one of the most romantic dinners! We ate at Bud and Alley's and knew from friends and travel information it was a good resturant. It was 7:30 and we both thought it would be 9 before we got seated and ate but...they got us right in! Not only did we get a table right away but we got the best seats in the house (according to our waitress)! Our table was outside with an oceanfront view and we got to watch the sunset. It was beautiful! We both chowed down on crabcakes and enjoyed the atmosphere. We took our time eating dinner and we discussed our upcoming wedding. Perfect evening, if I say so myself.
  
Our view from our table

My handsome dinner date
If the night couldn't get any better, we headed upstairs to an outdoor bar. There were a few people up there watching the SEC collegiate baseball world series. Every one up there seemed to be from Arkansas and were cheering on the Razorbacks. At least it was SEC folk and not PAC 12 or any other division for that matter. We stayed and watched the game and had a great time. Bud and Alley's is literally the best of both worlds: a beautiful quiet dinner resturant and then this wonderful outdoor bar that overlooks the ocean. Needless to say, we had a great night!

The next day, Jace was in pain!!! The boy was completely sunburnt and even though we applied sunscreen, he was red as a lobster. We waited until lunch to head to the beach and poor Jace covered up in a towel. There seems to be a reoccuring theme of Jace getting sunburnt on vacation. Thank goodness we bought aloe before hand because he sure did use it.


The next day Debby, arrived in full force. It was a rainy Sunday afternoon and as bad as we wanted to go to the beach, we couldn't. It was for the best in the end because Jace didn't need to be out in the sun anymore. There was a moment when it wasn't raining, so we explored Seaside some more and discovered all these nooks and crannies. The homes are big, bold, and colorful. It is a very friendly place to be and is a wonderful place for any couple to get away from it all.

How cute is this home?!
  
Debby in all her glory with double red flags of warning flying
I hated to be stuck inside all day but I can't tell you how many times I have wished for a rainy Sunday with Jace and to do whatever we want to do. He quickly found golf on TV and I was asleep in no time. It turned out not to be such a bad day afterall.

Monday we got up bright and early and loaded up the car. We headed to Gainesville to tour UF which I describe our experience HERE.

All in all, Jace and I got to spend a whole week together. This only happens once a year. We literally plan and dream about this all year long and it was wonderful to be a couple again. I hated that Tropical Storm Debby ruined a whole day of beach time but you can't plan for things like that. I think Seaside is a wonderful place to visit and it was nice to explore some place new.

My Lobster!!!
 Where are you vacationing this year? Did Debby make an appearanc during your vacation?

No comments:

Post a Comment