Friday, July 5, 2013

Our Engagement Party

I couldn't be sad too long about leaving work and my last day at UK because we had a party to get to! My Aunt Karen, Uncle Ev, and sweet Sara hosted the most beautiful outdoor engagement party for Jace and I. They pulled out every stop in the book and it was more than I could imagine. The Falder's have a gorgeous house that is designed for entertaining and provided the perfect spot to celebrate with our guests. It was a night filled with mouth watering food, fireworks, and some of the sweetest people we know.

I was excited for the party for several reasons, one being that Teak and Aunt Mitz came down as well as Lauren & Adam. I was especially excited abut Lauren & Adam's visit since they have never been to God's Country before, nor have they ever been that far west in KY. Lauren & Adam arrived about five minutes before Jace pulled up. Thankfully I was ready because I spent the rest of the time vising with them. Lauren had everyone laughing as usual and it felt great to have my best friend at home.

Hinton's & soon to be Stampers
Something that Lauren and I completely agree on is hair and makeup. We accept our skill level and we can do everyday makeup and hair. But ask us to do something fancy and we crumble. We can only do the everyday look and we are fine with that. It's not like we do fancy things all the time. However, I thought the engagement party was something special that doesn't happen every day so I decided to get my hair did! Janette hooked me up and teased, jacked up, and hair sprayed my hair until wouldn't move--and I loved it. She really did a great job and it made me feel special. What girl doesn't like going to the hair dresser? (Sidenot: when you are at home, in the country, you say hair dresser or beauty shop. When you are in the big city it is appropriately called the salon. Why is that?) I digress.

Before I knew it we all piled into our cars and drove the seven minutes to Aunt Karen's. At the end of the drive way was a sign that said "Katie & Jace" and at the top of the driveway there were signs for parking. Bistro tables with white table cloths, candles, and small arrangements greeted you along with the best appetizer tray of mixed meats, vegetables, and cheeses. Everyone started arriving and it was so fun to greet everyone and immediately everyone felt at home. The weather was cool and comfortable and everyone visited with friends. A couple of times, someone would go inside and the most glorious smell would come from the kitchen. As if wafted through the air, everyone's mouth watered and we looked at each other asking if they smelt it too! The combination of garlic and who knows what else was enough to make you run to the dinner table.

Speaking of the dinner table, look at this set up!

View from top of deck, looking down on the patio
 
This picture doesn't do it justice nor will my words to describe it. The tables were set up in family style and at each place setting was a colored tea towel. Sitting on top of the tea towel was your dinner plate and clear salad plate. Aunt Karen mixed her china and flatware, which I had never seen before and it was timeless and classic. Sara did her thing and created the prettiest arrangements. Sister can make an arrangement! I just can't tell you how pretty it was. So much time and effort went into everything and I wish the picture did it justice.

Now, let's talk about food! Casey and his wife Vickie fixed us a meal that puts Olive Garden to shame. The salad was scrumptious. Then the bread. Oh the bread. Buttery, garlic, and it had some type of herb. I don't even want to tell you how many servings of bread I had and quite frankly I don't care because it was that good! Next came the fettuccine Alfredo. Have I told you how much I love pasta? It took everything in Lauren Hinton and me to not get the fingers out and start licking! Then the chicken piccata. So tender, so juicy, so flavorful. Aunt Karen later revealed she dipped her bread in the au jus of the chicken and I only wished I would have thought of that! For dessert we had cookies and sorbet. Y'all how am I supposed to fit in a wedding dress when this kind of food is served. Honey, I will just have to suck it in that day because I don't pass up food like that!

One of the most touching moments came when Aunt Karen gave a speech/toast to Jace and I. Aunt Karen and I couldn't look at each other because we were already crying. I was so humbled by what she had done for Jace and I that night but also knowing how close we are and how much she has been there for me, Ross, and Mom was too much. Even though Aunt Karen & Uncle Ev are not blood family, they are family. They are my Mayfield Aunt & Uncle. Sara, Drew, Ross, and I grew up together, celebrated holidays together, and were there for each other in life's big moments. It was incredibly touching to have Aunt Karen do this for us and I am so thankful to have her in my life.

Then Jay got up and said a speech/toast and it was so sweet. I think Jay and Lisa are more excited about our marriage than Jace and I and Jace and I are really excited! Jay is beside himself to be a best man. He has been so supportive of our relationship and has been there for Jace throughout the wedding process. Jay only wants the best for Jace and I and we are honored to have him in our wedding party. We can't wait to get to TN and spend more time with him and Lisa.

Naturally, after Aunt Karen & Jay spoke, I got up and said a few words. My speech is sorta a blur because I didn't have anything prepared. What I do remember is thanking Aunt Mitz for coming as well as Lauren & Adam but didn't thank the rest of our guests for coming or for Aunt Karen for hosting! EEK! I remember asking our guests to pray for me as move and live in 600 sq. ft.! I asked them to pray for me as I marry a man who loves ESPN. I was sniffling pretty good at this point and said out loud, "how are we ever going to make it through the rehearsal dinner if I am acting like this now?!"

After the tears were dried and dinner was done, it was almost time for fireworks. I can't tell you how much I love fireworks! I am a clapper, screamer, and hoop and holler the whole time. Ross went by the pond and launched the off. We had a great show and I loved every minute of it.

Kendra Mason took photos throughout the night and I can't wait to see what she captured. I told her to do her thing and just capture the evening. I am so thankful I thought about a photographer because it allowed me to visit with everyone and not be behind a lens. I will post pictures once I get the file!

It truly was the most perfect night. We were surrounded by close friends, ate wonderful food, had beautiful arrangements and were surrounded by love. Aunt Karen, Uncle Ev, and Sara I thank you for your love, support, and encouragement as Jace and I enter into marriage. Thank you for hosting a beautiful party and showering Jace and I with so much love. I love you dearly!

No comments:

Post a Comment