Thursday, July 18, 2013

One last hurrah

This Friday night Teak and I are going out to dinner for one last hurrah together before the wedding and the move. I am looking forward to a great dinner with my Teak but I am also dreading it. This last hurrah means that I am leaving soon. Leaving her. I am ready to walk down the aisle but I also want time to slow down. I am not ready to leave her yet.

 
Teak and I have such a deep and meaningful relationship and it has only gotten stronger since I moved to Lexington. In college, I stopped by her house every Sunday for church, lunch, and laundry. The past four years, I have lived with her and shared every day with her. I am incredibly lucky to have spent so much time with my grandmother. However, there have been times when I have wanted my own apartment but those moments only last a little while.

 
I think the thing I will miss the most about living with Teak is her advice. When I am upset or need to talk about something, Teak is there. She has experience with girls and has gone through many things which makes her the best person to seek advice from.

 
Teak is in great health and can do everything for herself. However, I worry about when I am not here. I worry about who will take care of little projects for her, take things to the basement for her, help her with the computer and TV. I will worry that she will be ok. I have been the eyes and ears for my Mom and aunts for years now and with me leaving, who will keep an eye out? It is these things that make it so difficult to leave her.

 
I can not wait to marry Jace. The day has finally arrived and I get to marry my best friend. Eight years I have waited for this. Eight years we have waited for this. However, marrying and moving means leaving the Teak. I know she wants us to get married and she is excited for us. She has raised 3 girls and knows that all kiddos need to leave the nest. But it is me who is having such a hard time leaving her, even though I know she will be fine. She will stay busy with church, bridge, exercise, and eating lunch with the ladies. She will be fine. It is me who is a wreck.

 
 
Jace has been amazing through all of my emotions. Tears do not scare him away. When we land in Cincinnati after the honeymoon, our first stop is Teak's and it is then that I have to say the official good bye. Jace has told me countless times that I can take as long as I need. He knows there will be tears and lots of them. I will cry the whole way down the BG, WK, 1-24, and Purchase Parkway. Even though I will see Teak 8 weeks after the wedding for Ross and Beth's wedding, it will be the longest I have been away from her in years. I keep telling myself that she will be fine. We will only be gone for 9 months and after that we hope to be so much closer to KY.

 
 
I am incredibly blessed to have the Teak. She is the best. I know not everyone has such a close relationship like we do. It is more than granddaughter/grandmother. I don't think there are adequate words to describe what we have; it is such an intense love.



No comments:

Post a Comment