Thursday, July 4, 2013

Last Day

Last Friday was my official last day at UK and with the Cooperative Extension Service. Being on campus since 2005 and eight wonderful years later made leaving a little harder than I thought. At first I was excited to know that all of my assignments were complete, office cleaned, and that the next day would be our engagement party. However, as the day ticked by my heart got heavier and heavier with the thought of leaving my home away from home.

I parked in the dreaded parking garage, walked the 7 minute hike to my office, punched in my door code, and got settled in at my office. After I checked email, I headed to the main office and started saying my goodbyes. The people in the main office have answered thousands of crazy questions from me, fixed my IT problems, informed me about procedures, shared creamer for my coffee, along with countless other things. I had to laugh because in between saying goodbyes, Miss Jewel made sure I worked on my last day. She needed a copy of a food invoice for a meeting and needed names of who attended the meeting.

After saying goodbye to everyone, Nicole and I decided to take an early lunch and head to one of our favorite spots, Local Taco. The weather couldn't have been better and we relaxed in the sunshine during lunch. As if the day couldn't have been more enjoyable, when we were walking back on campus UK Dining Services was giving out free ice cream. You know I took one and was pumped to find something free on UK's campus!

When the day was over, I got my wish. All I wanted to do on my last day was to walk away quietly with no fuss. I got to turn off the lights and shut the door. Just me. No one else was around. But it was when I was walking to my car that the magnitude of the day really hit. I wouldn't be walking down the same sidewalk or hallway anymore. I had walked that hallway, sidewalk,
 and campus for that matter as a student and employee. Now I was neither of those; instead I am one proud alum!

As cliché as it sounds, I had "My Old Kentucky Home" stuck in my head when I was walking to my car. The line, "then my old Kentucky home good night" had me crying in nothing flat. Those words just rung so true for me that day. I am not going to lie, I had a hard time turning they key to the ignition and pulling away. I really didn't want to leave even though I was in the parking garage. I know that I will be back on campus and I will walk that sidewalk and hallway again, but it will be different. It won't be the same like it has been for the past 8 years. It is so exciting to be starting this new chapter of life and to be Jace's wife, but it was hard to close my UK chapter.

I am thankful for the past eight years at UK. I have found great friends, earned two degrees, and started my professional career. I had done things I never thought I would do, I have met people I would have never met, and had fun along the way. It was a great ride but it is time to get off this train and onto the next. Only this time, this train is headed to the swamp...

No comments:

Post a Comment