Sunday, May 5, 2013

Traveling Sabbath

I have had so many thoughts running through my head lately and have finally found time to get them in word.

In Sunday School we have been reading a book by Matthew Sleeth, called 24/6. It stresses the importance of taking one day a week to observe the Sabbath. I understand the importance but struggled with finding ways for me to observe the Sabbath. I struggled with this for several weeks but finally found it this past week.

This past week, I traveled home and did a presentation in Princeton. I found my Sabbath in the four hour drive. What I love about the drive home is that I am away from the computer and I can sit back, drive, and just think. I notice nature's beauty and enjoy the solitude of just me and my radio. When I arrived at home, there is a sense of comfort that washes over me. There truly is no place like home.

I also found my Sabbath at home. I love nothing more than sitting on our deck or porch, watching the day begin or enjoying the final minutes of daylight in the evening. I love nothing more than sitting outside at night, watching my pup and Big play outside. I try to stay out there until the mosquitoes get to me and it becomes too dark to see. This is my Sabbath. During this time, I find myself thanking God for his many blessings. In Graves county, my soul is refreshed and I only wish I could get back more often.

After I completed my presentation Tuesday night, I returned to Lexington Wednesday afternoon. I arrived back in town just to leave again. I visited Lauren and Adam this weekend and we had the best time. There is something about spending time with your best friends that does a body good.

The traveling will continue...Wednesday I fly out for Jace's law school graduation. He graduates this upcoming Friday and I can't believe it. Where has 3 years gone? I always thought I would be a mess at graduation but I think I will hold it together. Now, his momma is a different story. Dana may not leave with any mascara on.

Right after graduation, Jace and I will get in the car and drive back to KY for Jay's wedding. This drive will be a first for me. To be honest with you, I am just like Miss Daisy. I have never drove in big cities before and traffic scares me. To help me overcome this fear, I suggested to Jace that I drive part of the way back to KY so I could get some experience and he will be there to help coach me. This means I will route around Memphis. If you would, say an extra prayer for me. I will need divine intervention!

Through all my travels I think I found my Sabbath. Traveling gives me time to reconnect with my thoughts and I can reflect on the blessings in my life. What is your Sabbath?

No comments:

Post a Comment