Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Jace's Graduation from Law School

On May 10th, Jace graduated from Mississippi College School of Law. Three years of hard work, dedication, perseverance, and sacrifice paid off. I have been dreaming about this day for so long whereas on graduation day Jace was dreaming about sleeping since he had taken three finals that week. The ceremony was held at Jace's church, First Baptist Church. The church is beautiful and is a natural fit for graduation since Mississippi College is the oldest Baptist college in MS.

I was afraid that I would be emotional but surprisingly I wasn't. I was so proud of him and loved everything about the day. If I had taken the time to really reflect on his accomplishment and our journey to graduation day, I could have easily cried. Instead, I chose to live in the moment and not be that crying family member in the audience.

When Pomp and Circumstance played and the graduates filed in, I stood there in awe. 190 people survived law school. 190 people devoted 3 years of their lives to schooling. 190 families supported a loved ones dream to attend law school. There was so much love, admiration, support, and relief felt in that sanctuary.

The Dean of the law school addressed the graduates and he asked for the graduates to stand up if they fit the characteristic he described. If they were already standing and they fit another characteristics he described he asked them to wave their hand. At the end of his list of characteristics, all graduates were standing and many waved their hands multiple times. The point he made was that not only were they students but they were involved and had lives outside of law school. For instance, they helped build homes for Habitat for Humanity, they helped with the free legal clinics, they were a member of Law Review, they got married while in law school, lost a loved one while in law school, etc. It was touching to me to see just how much the graduates had gone through both academically and personally.

The judge for the fifth Circuit Court of Appeals was the key note speaker and he did a great job. They listed his credentials before he spoke and he had continuously climbed the ranks and challenged himself. He addressed the graduates and told them three keys to success. I wish I could tell you what those three keys were but I don't remember. What I do remember is having this wonderful peace wash over me. Peace that reassured me that I don't know what the future holds and that it is ok, to enjoy the journey life takes us, and to be excited.

In our relationship, everything has to be planned out. We have had our law school/marriage plan for at least 6-7 years. We knew that the road would be long and hard but we also knew for Jace to achieve his dreams this would be the path we would have to take. We haven't detoured, not once.

Sitting in that pew and hearing Jace's name being called, seeing him walk across that stage, and be hooded with his JD was the beginning of my peace and excitement. We had finally did it. Our plan came together after all these years. We have no idea where his career will take us. We don't know how many moves we will make or how many Bar exams he will take. But what I do know is that Jace loves helping and serving people. I know he has a God-given gift of understanding tax law and it is his passion. I know he will always keep his client's best interest at heart. I know how much potential he has and can't wait to watch it all unfold.

I think to myself how many times in life do you get to watch someone achieve their dreams? We all have dreams but Jace's dream is now his reality. I was there from the beginning and to see it to fruition is one of my life's greatest blessings. So I couldn't help but be excited for him and for our future. I couldn't help to feel peace as he accomplished his goal.

In essence, it was a great day. Once the ceremony was over, everyone met outside and congratulated each other. Friends were introduced to parents and professors. Wives congratulated each other because they too had earned a JD. Everyone was so happy and proud. I snapped a few pictures from the day.

Walking In

Jace Allen Stamper, Magna Cum Laude

Hooded

Did it!!!!

Jace and our dear friend, Will Morgan

The Stampers & MeMaw

Kennedy, Vince, & Jace

The Graduate and I

Jace and the one and only, Bo Baxter

Haley and I

Jace and David Parker

Jace with the man himself, J. Larry Lee. (Jace's tax professor)
Jace, I am so proud of you and thank you for letting me tag along for the ride. You inspire me, challenge me, and let me know that dreams do come true. I realized dreams really do come true when you asked me to marry you. Let's learn this life together and do it hand-in-hand. I pray that God continues to bless you and let you live out your calling. You are going to do great things Jace and thanks for letting me bear witness to your success. Our "one day" is quickly approaching and I couldn't be happier. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment