Friday, March 15, 2013

In honor...

Wedding planning has been incredibly fun at times and there are several special moments that come to mind over the past 11 months. Trying on wedding gowns was fun and a memorable moment for Mom and I, celebrating our engagement with our MS friends, finding the band, picking out stationary, etc. However, I think one of the most precious and fulfilling moments happened last Friday and this past Monday.

Jace and I decided early on that we were not going to give out wedding favors to our guests. Instead we would donate to charities that are close to our heart in honor of our wedding guests. I wish I could say that it was my idea but I can't. I had heard of a few other couples who did this and immediately knew this is something that I wanted to do. Without hesitation I knew I wanted to donate to the Graves County Animal Shelter because it is only a matter of time before I try to adopt every animal at the shelter. Jace realizes this and knows he is fighting a losing battle. Our future home will resemble a small zoo and I will be happy as a peach! Jace wanted to donate to the Graves County Needline which provides assistance for anyone needing help making ends meet.

Friday as Mom and I were running errands, we stopped by the Animal Shelter. Mom stayed in the car because we give into pressure too easily when it comes to animals and it was just best that she not go in. If we went in together, we would have walked out with 4 new cats, 1 parkeet, and 1 dog named Trixie. I walked in and told them that Jace and I are getting married and we wanted to honor our wedding guests by making a donation. I presented them the check and I felt like Santa Claus or a millionaire on Secret Millionaire. The ladies were tickled pick and were so thankful and appreciative. Yet it was me who received the greatest blessing. It felt so good to give money to someone who needed it and to know that we did it in honor of the people who have showed us love, helped raised us, and have been mentors and models for us was overwhelming. We repaid love, with love.

On Monday, I went to the Needline and couldn't wait to present them the check. The Needline and Food Pantry are in the same building in Graves County and the sweetest lady from my church is a constant there. She is always working and helping out any way she can. I got to present Mrs. Ann Qualk with our check and she was just like the ladies at the Animal Shelter; appreciative and thankful. I got to catch up with Mrs. Qualk and that was a wonderful blessing. She is a lady of strong faith and a strong pillar at First Christian Church, Mayfield. Seeing her and giving her the check overwhelmed me but in a wonderful way. I had to get in my car and take a small moment for myself.

I don't write this post to boast what Jace and I did. Instead I wanted to share the power of giving and just how much of a blessing you receive when you give. To our wedding guests, thank you. Thank you for loving us and teaching us to show love by giving love. It is because of you that you gave me something precious and deeply meaningful to remember about our wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment