Friday, March 1, 2013

Dinner with Speech Therapists and a 5K

Did you know that you can correct a child who has problem saying their "S" words with a straw? Well neither did I until last night! Last night I joined Lauren and about 6 other speech therapists at dinner. Lauren and the rest of her girls were in town for a speech therapists conference and asked me to join them at dinner. I met them at Abeulo's and we had the best time. We laughed and talked and got caught up with everyone. I had met a few of the girls last year but there were a few new faces last night. I was especially excited to see Brittany, who absolutely cracks me up. I hadn't seen her in what seems like forever and it was so good to see her.

I loved eating dinner with them and listen to them describe their work. Most of the girls work with kids and it was interesting to hear them describe their kids and how they help them overcome their speech disorders. This is where the straw and correcting S words come in. They started sharing their tips and tricks and one girl, Chasity, showed everyone the straw trick. I walked away last night thinking just how talented they are and how much they are helping their students.

The highs of last night were replaced with fear, excitement, and anxiousness for the 5K Color Me Rad that is tomorrow. I have been training since January because I am not a runner by nature. I have learned to enjoy running and some days it is the best escape from a stressful or crazy day at work. The problem with my training is that I have done almost all of it inside, on a treadmill, no incline. I have ran twice outside at the Arboretum and what a difference it was! The hills and inclines are not felt on the treadmill!

I also didn't anticipate such cold weather. It has snowed on and off all day and is quite cold. I had to buy Under Armor type pants and shirt for tomorrow. I think Whitney and I will have about 152 layers on tomorrow in an effort to stay warm. I think I am most nervous about the weather, wet pavement, and the need to blow my nose (I am recovering from a cold). But I can't think about my fears. I have to remember when I am running. I am running to fulfill a personal goal and I get to do it with my best friend. I am running for my health. I am running to help the Ronald McDonald House.

I will be sure to let you know how tomorrow goes. We run at 8:40 AM. It will be an early morning but a fun one! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment