Monday, March 4, 2013

Color Me Rad 5K

At first I was afraid, I was petrified...oh but honey we survived! Whitney and I completed the Color Me Rad 5K on Saturday and had a complete blast. Here is how the race went...

The alarm went off at 6:40 AM and it was cruel to be getting up that early on a Saturday. I took a shower on Friday night and literally had to put on clothes, wash my face, and brush my teeth. I had on two layers of socks, pants, and shirts. I stuffed my sports bra with Klennex for my runny nose. I picked Whitney up at 7:20 and then we drove to the race. We put on our white sweatshirts, gloves, headbands to keep our ears warm, running number, and headed to the race. Y'all it was cold. The wind was blowing, it was around 20 degrees outside, and there was ice on the pavement. I thought we had lost our mind doing this. A cold was guaranteed to come on after five minutes in weather like that.

Once we made it to the race, we realized just how many people had signed up for the race. There were so many people and everyone was excited. There were people of all shapes, sizes, and ages. There were teams, girlfriends, and couples that ran together. People were creative with their team names and outfits. It was like being at the beach...it was great people watching. Whitney and I were supposed to run in the 8:40 AM wave but we were so cold waiting around to run so we ran in the 8:20 wave. Once we got started, we warmed up. I was surprised in how many people walked but this 5K wasn't about time. It was about having fun and raising funds for the Ronald McDonald House. There were three color bomb stations and we were pretty colorful at the end of the race. When race was over, there was one large color bomb party! For one second all I could see was pink dust! Everyone was excited and proud about completing the race.

Color Bombed!

Just finished!!!
 After the race, I walked away happy that I had achieved something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I got to cross something off my bucket list and the best of all, I got to do it with my best friend. The hours on the treadmill had paid off. Even though it was cold on Saturday, I was happy. I would gladly do it again and would encourage anyone to run this race. Thanks Whitney for running with me. Only best friends do crazy things together!

No comments:

Post a Comment