Monday, September 24, 2012

Whiteker Women

This past weekend Mom was in town not just so we could go wedding dress shopping but because my cousin, Jake, got married. Yesterday at the wedding all of my family sat together at a table and I sat in awe at my family, especially my aunts, Teak, and Mom. I got to thinking about each one today and how different they are but how similar they are too.

My Aunt T is just like my grandfather. Sometimes she has too much Mack Whiteker in her! She is brutally honest, hilarious, and you know where she stands on issues at all times. She is quick to console and quick to make you laugh. She can find fun in any situation. To know T, is to love T. She is the one in the family who takes care of the big things. She can hold it together. She can handle high stress situations and remains calm.

My Aunt Mitz was the mother of groom this weekend and there were plenty of tears shed. My Aunt Mitz has a soft heart and is quick to cry. She is the emotional one who cries about the Thanksgiving Day prayer and Christmas Hallmark commercials. She has flourished as a new grandmother and the love she has for Bo, Brantley, and Jackson is so touching. Her heart is so big and her love is easily shown.

My momma is known as the Big Dog in the family. Big Dog comes in and takes care of things. You need to get ready for a yard sale, call Big Dog. You need someone to watch the twins, call Big Dog. You need someone to get food together for a party, call Big Dog. Simply put, Mom gets it done. She is loyal to her family and thoughtful. She willingly drives the 500 mile round trip to be with us in Lexington and I know I greatly appreciate the time she spends on the road, just to see us.

Then there is the matriarch, the Teak. Teak loves her family and when we can all get together. She loves seeing the 3rd generation of her family and we know we act silly when the twins are around. She loves having her grandson's do little chores for her and is amazed at how much they can eat. She loves her girls and they love her. She has a different relationship with each of her girls because each daughter is different. As for her and I, we have a special bond. It is more than granddaughter and grandmother. I don't know if I will ever be capable of describing in words what the Teak means to me. Simply, she is my Teak and I love her to death.

Each of these women love their family with their whole heart. Each of them are STRONG women. They have been through their fair share of ups and downs and have got through the hard times. They are quick to laugh. Each bring different characteristics to our family and are known for different things. All four of these women mean the world to me. It was so nice to share this wedding weekend with them and I feel blessed to be related to the Whiteker women!

No comments:

Post a Comment