Saturday, September 8, 2012

My Matrons

What a weekend it has been! I have the absolute best girlfriends a girl could ask for. Whitney and Lauren are the two sisters I never had. We are each other's listening ear, career counselor, free therapist, relationship guru, problem solver, comedian, and overall best friend. Now that we all have big girl jobs, it is rare that the three of us can get together. The stars aligned this weekend and we all got together and what a time we had!!!

I decided to cook dinner for Whitney and Lauren. As much as I would like to say that I cook and can work my way around the kitchen...I can't. I have made a few meals for Jace and I but had all afternoon to get it together and he helped me cook. This Friday night I was on my own. I dug through my cookbooks and searched on Pinterest for just the perfect dinner. I decided on a new recipe from my church's cookbook called Ritz Chicken Casserole. For our side dishes: steamed broccoli, rice, salad. and for dessert, chess bars. I also decide to fix homemade carmel cinnamon rolls for Saturday morning!

After going up and down every aisle in Kroger, I made my way home and quickly cleaned the house. After the tub had been scrubbed, carpet had been vacuumed, and the trash was out I wiped the sweat from my upper lip and made my way to the kitchen. As soon as I got into the kitchen, Lauren texted me and said she was on her way from Etown. I knew I had a little over an hour to get a whole dinner together. Suddenly I was on Iron Chef and my component was the clock. I quickly made the chess bars and put them in the oven. I defrosted the chicken and had the pot of water ready to cook them in. I got started on the carmel rolls and after they were finished it was time to cut up the broccoli and salad fixings. I set the table and tried to clean up my mess as I went. When everything was all said and done I had dirtied up every dish, mixing bowl, cutting board, and fork in our house, but I got it all done by the time Lauren arrived!

Lauren and I chitchatted and got caught up while we waited on Whitney to join us. Once she got to our house, we all sat down to dinner including the Teak. All of my hard work was well worth it when I sat down and fed 3 of the most important women in my life! I had made that meal with love and it was a wonderful feeling to share dinner with these women. After dinner I gave the girls a note asking them to be my Matrons of Honor and both accepted! I can't imagine our wedding day without them by my side.

On Saturday, the Teak, Lauren, and I put a dent in the carmel rolls and then Lauren and I made our way to Twirl. Lauren got her wedding dress and our bridesmaid dresses at Twirl and it is the cutest boutique. Lauren was so willing to try on any dress I picked out and I must say I struggled finding the right dress. I really didn't know what color I wanted to go with but knew what my budget was and I knew I wanted cocktail, satin dresses.

The first dress Lauren tried on I didn't care for on the hanger but it was darling on her!

We liked it!
Then she tried on a few more dresses and they just weren't doing anything for me. I couldn't find a color I liked. Lauren tried on ivory but I was worried it would look like there were 3 brides at the alter and not 1.

Way too much ivory!
Then she tried on a black/champagne and it was just not what I was looking for.

Too dark
I thought about putting Lauren in a blush/light pink but I am just not a pink girl. When we left Twirl, I decided I like the first dress Lauren tried on but only in black.  

Next we headed to Ruth's Bridal and we got there early. Our appointment was at Noon and we had almost 30 minutes to kill. When we pulled into the parking lot I could see the rows of wedding gowns. I tried to keep my focus on bridesmaid dresses and not on hundred wedding gowns on hangers. I did find three satin, cocktail dresses that I wanted the girls to try on. Since Lauren and I were early, we decide to peruse the wedding gowns while we waited on Whit to join us. Lauren pulled out this ivory lace/satin wedding gown and said, "Katie this looks like you!" Y'all I fell in LOVE!!! It was almost the exact same dress I saw at a boutique in Jackson, MS. Jace had taken me to a boutique this summer and I thought the dress was stunning, classic, and timeless. Now, the dress had found me in KY. Lauren tried her hardest to get me into that dress but I just couldn't do that to my momma. We are going dress shopping in two weeks and I wanted us to share this experience together.

When Whitney arrived, the girls tried on the three dresses I had pulled. Lauren put on a sage green, satin, sweetheart cocktail dress and it was EXACTLY what I wanted. Whitney had on another dress and I told her to don't even bother zipping it up because I didn't like it. Then I had Whitney try on the third dress and it looked like a hideous bridesmaid dress from 27 Dresses. Then, Whitney put on the sage green dress Lauren had on. Y'all it had looked great on Lauren and when Whitney put it on ol' momma had a smokin' hot hourglass figure! It was gorgeous on both of them! The more I looked at it, the more I loved it. The ruching is beautiful and as women we all know ruching is a girl's best friend!

I asked the girls if they were comfortable and they both said there were. They felt like they could sit down in it and dance the night away. Then they both looked at me and they said they loved the color. That was it. We found their dress! For something that I had been so worried about and really didn't know what color I wanted, the sage green dress was the one! I would have never thought about going with sage green but it was the perfect neutral, satin dress! Both me and the girls were so excited!

THE ONE. All this dress needs is some pearls and ivory hydrangeas!
After we had decided on the girls dresses, for kicks and giggles we put the ivory lace/satin wedding gown up next to it. Y'all I had to fight back the tears. The two dress colors were so complimentary and I had to fight the urge to jump into the wedding gown! I can NOT wait until Mom and I can go together. Today I may have just found both dresses and we did it in about 40 minutes!

Shopping for dresses today made me feel like a real bride. If you could have only heard me try to retell all of this to Jace! I was talking 90 to nothing! It was the best weekend and I have the sweetest, funniest, and most genuine girlfriends. Thank you Lauren and Whitney for being you and for being my matrons!

No comments:

Post a Comment