Thursday, January 24, 2013

Teak's Wisdom

I am madly in love with my Teak. She is like a second mother to me, best friend, wonderful listener, amazing cook, and rock for our family. The Teak holds it together when the rest of us are falling apart. Her friend, Norma, called her unflappable the other day. We obviously don't use words like this in every day conversation and had no idea what it meant. Was it a compliment? Upon looking it up, unflappable means someone is not easily bothered by things, goes with the flow, and is always happy. Teak is definitely unflappable.

Last night I just needed to talk to Teak about UF and our plans and she listened. She gave me great wisdom and it is uncanny how many parallels our life has. Teak knows what it is like to be a wife of a husband who has a demanding job and puts in long hours. She understands the moves and transitions that accompany a spouse's job.When my Papaw accepted a position at Iowa she had to pack up two babies and move to a town that she had never been to, didn't have housing lined up, nor family or friends to help her make this move. Teak said they stayed in a motel that first night, found a duplex in the days that followed, and moved in and for the first two days didn't have any furniture because it was in route to Ames, Iowa from Kentucky. I have no idea how she did that with two babies. After she told me that story, I thanked God for her wisdom and experience. She has done about everything a person can in her 82 years of life and it is through her experiences that I know Jace and I can make this move, transition into married life, and start the many chapters of our life together.

We ended up staying up to 11 last night talking and I soaked up her stories and wisdom. Thank God for her! She gives me the confidence and hope that with any transition and new chapter, we will be just fine.

Isn't that the most wonderful thing about grandparents. They have already been there, learned from the experience, and are eager to pass their wisdom onto us. I just so happen to get really lucky when God gave me my Teak!

No comments:

Post a Comment