Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Weekened Shenanigans

Its Tuesday afternoon and I am trying to keep my eyes open but I'm so tired. That is what happens when you have a fun weekend and there wasn't any time to rest! Here is what I was up to...

On Friday nights Jace and I usually have a date night in and fix a fun, albeit easy dinner. Last Friday's menu was homemade pizza and Jace was in charge. Last week seemed to be a whirlwind with the sudden surprise of "busy season", so Friday was a much needed night to recharge with Jace and catch-up. Some Friday nights we literally crash, don't say too much, and go to bed early and are pleased as punch to crawl into bed at a decent time. However, last Friday night we discussed all manners of adult stuff but mostly work.We are both so career focused right now and are really trying to settle into a career and not stick with just a job. Stamp keeps me motivated and encourages me along this little path I'm plowing. Friday nights with him are the best cure to a long week and it never hurts when a bottle of wine is opened either!

Saturday morning I got up early and drove home because it was Mom's birthday and we had the best day! For many years, I couldn't be with her on her actual birthday and that was always hard but not this year! That is the wonderful thing of being 2 1/2 hours away, traveling home is not an all day occurrence and is so much easier. Saturday we ran all over Paducah and went into stores we normally don't and just looked around. We had lunch at a fun restaurant called Flamingo Row. The place is lively and very colorful and they have a live iguana. Now listen, I can't handle that creature. When we lived in Gainesville, there were lizards everywhere and as Jace would tell you, they became my best friends and that is the God's honest truth. Lonely times, people, lonely times when the lizards were the highlight of my days. The reason I can't handle an iguana is its tongue looks like its as long as its body. So imagine Mom and I enjoying ourselves, eating lunch, and she lets out this hollar. Y'all I thought that iguana had escaped its cage and was loose. I was two steps away from the door and just thought I would call the restaurant and give them my credit card information and pay that way. I am not kidding when I tell you that I was startled. Shockingly, the iguana was not loose--instead my Mom saw someone we know. It took awhile to recover from the excitement but then Mom and I got so tickled. We finished the day at Great American Cookie because how can you have a birthday without a  sweet treat?

On Saturday night I knew there were flurries in the forecast. I was prepared for a dusting but it was far from a dusting when we woke up on Sunday. 4 inches fell overnight and it looked like a winter wonderland. Pup was so excited for the snow and played and trotted all over the neighborhood while Mom and I scrapped ice and snow from my car. We had plans on going to church but even churches were closed and school wasn't in session yesterday.

On my drive back, I felt like I was in high school all over again. Mom always swears she is done having yard sales and yet almost every year we throw another one. She was going through things and found a stack of CDs and y'all they took me back to the day. We are talking circa 2003-2005, the hit of hits of my high school days. I knew every lyric to those songs and my word what a mix CD they were! One minute country, the next rap, and everything in between. When I traveled back to Nashville it was the time when we would have been in church and I hope the Good Lord forgives me because the lyrics weren't that spiritual in nature.

Overall it was a really great weekend, a weekend that makes you tired the next week but your heart is full!

No comments:

Post a Comment