Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Good reads for 2016

Happy New Year!

This New Year I have been greeted by a stack of books/cookbooks on my nightstand and I am itching to start reading them. I am always on the lookout for a good book and enjoy hearing what others are reading. I thought I would share with you what I believe will be some new favorites:

See Me by Nicholas Sparks

Listen, at our house we are watching PLENTY bowl games and basketball games and this girl needs to mentally escape and read a girly novel and who better to read than ol' Nick. I had a quick business trip to Little Rock in December and almost knocked this book out in 24 hours. Easy read, love story, little bit of suspense all rolled into one. I am sure in classic Nicholas Sparks fashion, it will come out in a movie but I doubt Stamper will be eager to see this one.

My Southern Journey by Rick Bragg

Y'all I am laughing my way through this book of short stories and it will make you want to whip up some banana puddin', drink sweet tea, crack open an oyster, and rock a spell on your porch. Rick Bragg is the writer on the last page of Southern Living magazine and his stories seem like they could be told by your best friend's grandmother. The stories remind me of home and fill me with pride in being a Southerner. The stories are comforting, well-known, and make you shake your head like you are in a good church service. Jace gave me this book for Christmas and it is a true treasure. I just can't recommend this one enough and once I finish will probably re-read it.

The Southerner's Cookbook by Garden and Gun

I haven't had time to go through the recipes and they may be a little bit more complicated then I typically do but I think this cookbook will be a classic. After you finish reading My Southern Journey, break out this cookbook and make something with gravy!

The Southerner's Handbook: A Guide to Living the Good Life by Garden and Gun

Are you sensing a pattern here? I have been eyeing this book since fall and was about to purchase it when I was told not to spoil potential birthday gifts. I have a feeling this book is going to be one of those I will dog ear and learn from. After thumbing through it quickly in book stores, chapters discuss hosting tips, cooking tips, and so much more. Sign me up!

The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Dinnertime by Ree Drummond

At this rate, Stamper and I are going to weigh 1000 lbs by the time I finish reading all the cooking tips and recipes from these books. Oh well, I guess we will be happy! I have quickly scanned through this book and some of her recipes are doable. I struggle with Ree at times because she has so much time to prep and let's be honest that is always the case on a random Tuesday night when you have to work late and come home to piles of laundry. However, I love the step-by-step picture layout of each recipe and it makes me feel more confident in trying them.

Though this is not a book, it has quickly become a beloved IG account. I follow Euna Mae's on IG and have fallen in love with this little store. Jace and I visited Euna Mae's when we went to AR to watch the Hogs play MS state. Euna Mae's is in Springdale, AR which just so happens to be one of my hospital locations and I was familiar with the area before our trip to AR this fall. The store is named after the owner's grandmother and is filled with cooking and baking tools, mixing bowls, and cookbooks. I walked through the store three times and really didn't want to leave. Recipes are posted on the account and it will make you gather up your people and feed 'em. Euna Mae's slogan is: Love. Welcome. Serve. I am about 2 seconds away from cross-stitching that and putting that above our door! Love, love, love that!

I hope your New Year is off to a great start! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment