Thursday, January 9, 2014

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my momma's birthday! Last night I was thinking about the birthday girl and tears welled up in my eyes. My mom, like all mothers, should be celebrated every day--not just on their birthdays or Mother's Day. When I think of my mom, several qualities come to mind. Here are just a few things that I think of when I think of my Mom.

Strength: My Mom is one of the two strongest people I know, besides the Teak. She has provided for Ross and I and gave us more than we needed. The greatest of which was a loving home and relationship. Ross and I have always respected Mom and because of this, there wasn't a need for a lot of discipline in our home. As a family, we leaned on one another when times were hard and we are a tight party of three. I am thankful to have grown up in a home that was close-knit, caring, loving, and respected.

Friend: Mom has a great group of friends and all of them are like extended family to me. These ladies have been like second mothers to Ross and I; hosted bridal showers, opened up their homes to us, we have shared meals together, and treated us like we were one of their kids. They have supported my Mom in the good times and bad, and their friendship means a lot to our family. I am grateful that my Mom has such a great group of women around her! To have a friend, is to be a friend and I think my Momma is a great friend.

Mom and I have always been close but our relationship and friendship has only gotten stronger the older I have gotten. She didn't raise Ross and I in a home where she was a friend and not a parent. She is a parent that turned into a really great friend, best friend in fact.

Funny: If I'm in a crowded area and can't find my Mom, I listen for her laugh! I get my laugh from her and there is nothing that makes me laugh more than when my Mom gets tickled. It's important to laugh and to laugh easily, and Mom does just that.

Wisdom: when we got married, Mom gave me the family cookbook and inside were note cards with little sayings that Mom says and honey, its pure wisdom. Some of which are: It is, what it is; Good Luck and God Bless; Life is too short to sleep on cheap sheets (amen!); a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine; and work hard and be nice.  She also told me that nothing good happens after 10 PM and that is the absolute truth! All of these sayings are said in our home and the older I get, the more I realize how smart my momma is.

Big Heart: Mom does so much for not only Ross, Beth, Jace, and I but also for our entire family. She is always thinking about our family. She lets her family know they are loved and thought of, often. For example, she makes calendars for each family member at Christmas each year. Each calendar has pictures of that family member and all the family member's birthdays. I know the calendars take her lots of time but every year they are under the tree. She also made the family cookbook. She creates small treasures for the family through her love as well as traditions. These gestures and acts of love are examples of her big heart and shows where her priorities are.

Now, I know Sandy Keith and she is probably crying reading this because I cried writing it! Like mother, like daughter! Mom, I hope you have a wonderful birthday and you know how much you are loved, admired, and appreciated! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment