Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fat Tuesday

Tomorrow is Mardi Gras which can only mean one thing. Today is Fat Tuesday and most people are stuffing their face in King Cake and walking around with way too many cheap beaded necklaces. People vow to give up chocolate and that today will be the last day they will be on Facebook for 40 days.

My Tuesday didn't start out with a baby in my cake or strands of beads. Instead I woke up to a pending charge on my credit card for $413 that I didn't make. Sheer panic came over me. I have tried so hard to not put anything on my credit card this year. I know for every dollar I put on my credit card that is one less dollar I will have to spend next month. I had a ton of transactions from last Friday because I got my federal income tax return. I had a plan for my tax income and wanted to purchase 4 wedding gifts, a rain jacket for San Francisco, and the rest I put into savings. However, all of those purchases were made on my debit card, not credit card.

So this morning for some reason, I decided to check my bank account to see if the transactions had cleared and if I had received my state income tax return. This is where I saw the credit card balance! I ran to the bank after I got out of a morning meeting and was instructed to call Card Services. After waiting, transferred, waiting some more I finally got to talk to someone. Apparently I went to some doctor around the first of this month. Y'all I am healthy as an ox and haven't been to the dr. So if the charge does go through, Visa will credit my account, close the account, and issue me a new card. Wonderful.

The meeting I sat in on this morning just broke my heart. I will present to this audience in 2 weeks and wanted to get a feel for the audience. The audience is actively looking for jobs. Many have been unemployed for several months, some for years. They are educated professionals with skills galore. However, they for whatever reason have found themselves without a job. UK Alumni Association and the Fayette Co. Extension office have partnered together to offer Job Club. Job Club is a wonderful resource here in Lexington and what they are doing is blessing many people. It just broke my heart that so many are without a job and yet they keep trying each day and seemed optimistic.

The rest of work was a blur and I found myself yearning to get to the gym to get away from the phone and email. I was ready to jack up the volume, run, and zone out for away. My girl Beyonce, the Rolling Stones, and a little Kayne got me through 3.1 miles. I was feeling good and ready to settle into a good game between UK and UF.

I get home and the Teak said I had several packages. I knew it was probably my rain jacket from Dick's. Well it was my rain jacket but I got 2 other huge winter jackets. All three totaled around $700. My rain jacket was around $100 and my banking account hadn't been credited for any. I did the honest thing by returning the two jackets that I didn't order. The customer service people were very friendly and told me it was a shipping slip mess up. Now I just hope my account doesn't get credited for $700.

I hate to write negative posts but today felt like I got a big ol' FAT serving of Tuesday. Now where is my King cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment