Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Home is where the Heart is...

This past weekend, I traveled home. I hadn't been home since Christmas and it was so nice to go back to good ol' Mayfield. There are certain things that I absolutely love about being at home:

-My Bed!
-My pup and Big Momma
-The "strip" in Mayfield (a 5 minute commute from one end of town to the other is so nice!)
-Running into people you know while doing your errands
-My momma's sweet tea

On Friday I had to run errands and Mom and I got it all done in about 2 hours. After living in Lexington for 7 years, it is a luxury to get everywhere you need to go in that amount of time. One place we went to was the new Amish stores in Sedelia and Hickory. I think I have told everyone about these stores. Not only were they super clean, have a large selection of food products, but their furniture is like art. If money was no object, I would have bought a ton of stuff. Instead of buying furniture, Mom and I settled on homemade cinnamon rolls and a loaf of bread. I never tasted the bread because I was always eating the cinnamon rolls. They were to die for and well worth $6.

A couple of years ago, Mom, Jace, and I started having dinner together during Lent at the local Catholic church. We support St. Joseph's Catholic church and always look forward to their fish dinner. The money goes for a good cause and when else does Jace Stamper get to go out with 2 women on a Friday night? Me, Mom, and our dear family friend, Doris, ate there Friday night. Not only was the fish delicious but the strawberry cake was good too (major sweet tooth problem). We chit-chatted for 2 hours and had a great time. It is events like the fish fry at St. Joe's that make me thankful for growing up in a small town. I will be back in two weeks and this time Jace is coming with me and Mom. Can't wait!

Saturday was gorgeous outside and you would not have thought it was February. That night, Mom and I went out with Karen and Sara Falder. They are practically family and it was so good to catch up with them and have a mother-daughter dinner together. We ate at Max's in Paducah and while eating, I looked over and saw my freshman roommate, Rachel Holshouser. That girl has style and should be in fashion. Always good to see Ray and I only hope I didn't embarrass her after I yelled her name across the restaurant!

The weekend absolutely flew by. It was wonderful to spend uninterrupted time with Mom and to be at home. I don't know if I will ever live in Graves Co. again, but it will always be home and have a special place in my heart.

After a busy weekend, I am leaving bright and early in the morning and flying to see Jace. Mississippi stories to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment