Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Skyping for the Holidays

Y'all tonight I did something that just melted my heart; I skyped with Mom and the Teak! Mom traveled to Lexington today and will help Teak make food for Thanksgiving. She will decorate Teak's house for Christmas too while she is there. I hate that I can't be there to help in the kitchen and I don't necessarily help, I watch more than anything. I didn't start cooking until I married but I could tell you how to make things from the many years of sitting on the stool step in Teak's kitchen. Growing up watching, listening, and the occasional taste testing provided me with a firm foundation as I begin my own cooking ventures. I am so grateful to have such good teachers to learn from and I try to make my dishes with as much love as Mom and Teak put into theirs.

My ultimate test comes Thursday when I make Thanksgiving for Jace and I. Since being married, I have realized that I love to cook and bake, especially when I have time. Many of my recipes come from Teak or Mom and I will use their recipes on Thursday. No doubt, I will call Teak and Mom several times to double check that I am doing everything correctly. The dish that I so desperately want to turn out well is Teak's dressing balls. In our family, they are the coveted dish. I am going to try my hardest but something tells me that mine will never be as good as hers. There is just something about your grandmother's cooking that almost can't be replicated.

This year celebrating Thanksgiving will be equally exciting and different. Exciting that I can try my hand at cooking a feast and sharing this time with Jace. But also different because we aren't with our families but we are thankful to be together as our own little family, a party of two. Being away from family has made me extra thankful this year for the loving families that raised us and shower us with love. My Thanksgiving was made just a little sweeter tonight by skyping with Teak and Mom. We will Skype with Dana and Rickey as well on Thanksgiving day. Thank the Good Lord for technology.

I wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving. May your bellies be filled as well as your hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment