Thursday, June 20, 2013

"Welcome to the Future"

Ya'll sometimes I scare myself because I feel like I am so far behind in terms of technology. I am a technology laggard. I am living like it is circa 2000 and the burned rap CDs in my car prove it. When I say technology, I mean computers, Ipods, Iphones, anything to do with Apps, and the list could go on and on. Jace is like this too. We enjoy our Y2K living. We don't have fancy technology and we seem to get by. Well, things got a little bit fancier this past Monday when I upgraded to Iphone 5.

We have all done it and we notice when others are on their phones. I get frustrated when I see couples at a restaurant and they aren't talking to one another because they are on their phone. I hate seeing people sitting in meetings on their phones. I hate waiting behind someone while in my car and they won't go because they are looking down on their phone. My blood boils when someone can't finish a conversation with me because ding, there is an email or text.  I never want to become "that" person. Smartphones are the reason for this.

For quite some time my cell phone, lovingly called the brick, wasn't keeping charge. Let me tell you a few things about my cell phone. I could drop it and the pieces go everywhere, put it back together, and it would still work. It was an LG Shine. Lauren, Chris, and I got it our JUNIOR year in college, which was 2008. The brick looked like it could potentially have snake or tennis on it. It was not a smartphone. I could only take grainy pictures and don't ask me to open up video. There was no face time and who needs to check email when I have a computer. In the words of the AT & T commercial, my mind was blown when I upgraded to the Iphone 5! Y'all it hurt my soul to pay that much for a phone however, I bit the bullet and just did it.

Mom and Jace convinced me that I needed a reliable phone since this summer I will travel home frequently and especially when we start the moving process. I dragged myself to the AT & T store. We all know the dreaded feeling of going to the cell phone store. You just know that you will have to wait in line forever and they are going to try and sell you something that you probably can't afford. I went to the Mayfield AT& T store and surprisingly there was no wait and they didn't have to sell me anything. I knew what I needed and wanted to make it as painless as possible. I texted Jace while waiting (sometimes I may be "that" person) and told him I was getting the Iphone 5. His response was, "welcome to the future", which is fitting since Jace has had an Iphone for quite some time now.

After they did what they needed to do to activate it, they handed it over to me. I felt like I need to swaddle it because it is worth a lot of money and I am scared to death I will drop it. I have had it for less than a week and my life has changed. I make Siri do everything: Siri, text Jace. Siri call Mom. If only Siri could help me write bridal thank you cards!

I understand why people check their phones when it dings. I understand why you are on it in meetings. I am absolutely in love with the phone. I love that I can listen to my music, check my calendar, email, FB, and Pinterest. I can't get over that I can listen to my music, someone call me and I don't have to take out my ear buds. Again, my mind is blown. It is nice to be in the "future".

If you have any tips for me, please let me know. I am still learning but at least I am eager! This "future" isn't so bad after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment