Saturday, December 8, 2012

The magic of Rupp Arena

I was sitting at my desk Tuesday afternoon when Jennifer sent me a Lync message. The message said that her parents weren't going to use their UK tickets and she wanted to know if Teak and I wanted to go. I quickly called Teak and she perked up about the offer. She thought we should go to the game because who knows when the next time we will go. I messaged Jennifer back and told her we would take 'em!

I ran home, changed into UK gear, and Teak and I headed to Rupp. We found parking and got to the arena in plenty of time. Before we got to our seats, Teak wanted to stop and get some nachos, I picked up some popcorn, and we split a large Coke 0. We had great seats and sat and ate our dinner and soaked up the magic that is Rupp Arena. Rupp is one of the most iconic places for NCAA basketball and so many wonderful players have made a name for themselves on this court. The National Championship banners hang from the rafters and is one of the first thing that people notice upon entering.


I think my most favorite part of going to a UK game is the 5 minutes before the game starts. People are filing into the arena and finding their seats, the band is playing, cheerleaders are leading the CATS cheer, the student section is rocking, and then the lights go out. Spotlights come on and the video screens light up. The players come down the Catwalk and a short video is played. This video along with the music give me goosebumps. Everyone is beyond hyped and ready to watch a good game. After each starting five player is introduced, fireworks go off and I am almost ready to loose my voice at this point from screaming so loud. It truly is a production, the players are treated as celebrities, and the pressure Wildcat fans put on the team is outrageous. In the words of Coach Cal, "you people are crazy!" and we are!



The game got off to a great start and it is so much more fun to watch the game live as opposed to watching the game on tv with tv timeouts and commercials. Plus, at home you can't get ice cream cones like this! Teak and I believe Rupp has the best ice cream in town and no game is complete without a cone!


Getting to go to Rupp and watch the Cats play is always a treat. Lord knows the tickets are like gold to Kentucky fans! Thanks Jennifer for letting Teak and I enjoy a night out and to watch the current reigning National Champs! #BBN

The sweet Teak and I

No comments:

Post a Comment