Wednesday, June 13, 2012

3s

My momma always said bad things happen in 3s. Well in the past 24 hours I have heard 3 devastating stories. The stories make you stop in your tracks and my heart hurts for 3 families. One family lost a loving grandmother, one family has lost a precious newborn daughter, and one couple is getting a divorce after several years of marriage.

We don't know why God works the way He does or why he decides to take loved ones so early. Maybe we aren't meant to understand. Maybe the saying, "only the good die young" is actually true.

I have tried to go about my day and unfortunately have found myself complaining about minor frustrations and differences. I feel selfish for these complaints because these 3 families are hurting.

When you hear stories such as these three, everything is put into perspective. The meaning of life becomes a little bit clearer. You realize what means the most. You pick up that phone call. You hug a little tighter. You say I love you one more time. You thank God for what you have and stop focusing on what you don't have. The world stops for just a moment and in that moment you realize you are blessed beyond words.

I found this saying circulating on Pinterest and Facebook this week and I think it puts our crazy, busy lives into perspective and we begin to realize how rich we really are:

I am thankful for...

  • the taxes I pay because it means that I am employed
  • the clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat
  • my shadow who watches me work because it means I am out in the sunshine
  • a lawn that has to be mowed, windows that have to be washed and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home
  • the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking
  • all the complaining I hear about our government because it means we have freedom of speech
  • the lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means that I can hear.
  • the huge piles of laundry and ironing because it mans my loved ones are nearby
  • the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because it means that I'm alive
 (Author unknown)

May God surround these families. May He comfort them not only in the coming days but forever. May we all realize that life is precious,to enjoy our time with our loved ones, and to be thankful. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment