Friday, March 23, 2012

Something...MORE

TGIF!!! It's Friday and I have been looking forward to today and this weekend for quite some time. This week was long especially with the in-service trainings in Lexington and Princeton. Planning the trainings took months and there were lots of details to work out and coordinate. Now that the trainings are over, I am happy to announce that the winning 11 piggy banks are returned, 1000 workbooks and 200 binders have been distributed, and the caterers have been paid. Needless to say, I have been looking forward to a nice quiet day in my office. That day was yesterday and I knocked out the to-do list out. Usually my Fridays are quiet as well but this afternoon I had a conference to go to. I have never been to the Kentucky Association of Family and Consumer Sciences conference before and didn't know anyone who was attending. This conference is geared mainly to FCS teachers and to Extension agents. I will be honest with you, I wasn't as open minded as I should have been about this conference mainly because I hadn't been before. By the end of the conference, I was so moved and couldn't help but share my experience with you.

After our lunch, there were two presentations. The first presentation was about "Beading to Beat Autism". I was so close to tears by the end becuase it was a true testimony of faith, the power of community, and the compassion of a sister. A mother and daughter discussed their family's experience with their son/brother who is autistic. Evan was diagnosed with Autism at 18 months old and his parents worked tirelessly to find someway to help their child. They found a small clinic in Florida that gave some type of amino acid to children with autism and found that the children responded to the amino acid. The trip to Florida was taxing on the family and the sister, Michala, wanted to help in some way. Michala gave all she had at the time, $7.35, to fund research for Autism. She then began making beaded bracelets and selling them and giving the funds raised to Autism research. Within six months she raised over $300,000!!! The bracelets have been successful and Michala has set her sights on funding a research and treatment center for children and adults with Autism. The proposed plan is for the center to be in Louisville, where her and her family reside now. The price tag for the center is $300 million! Despite, the hefty price tag she and her family have faith, hope, and a relentless passion for this cause. At the end of the presentation, I was inspired by a 15 year old girl's passion for helping her brother and the thousands of other people who are affected by Autism. (1 out of 94 children are Autistic). Michala has created her own foundation, The Michala Riggle Beat Autism Foundation inc. It is a 501 c3 non-profit foundation and is dedicated to promoting awareness, determining causation, treating and eradicating the dreadful disorder of autism. If you would like to learn more about this great cause, donate, or purchase an awesome bracelet please visit: http://www.beadingtobeatautism.org/.

The second presentation was about the Center for Courageous Kids. I have heard of this center but didn't know anything about it. The Center for Courageous Kids, also known as CCK, is a world class medical camp located in Scottsville, KY, serving children and families from across the country who are living with a variety of medical challenges. Families can come for FREE and have FUN. It is a place where kids don't feel different; instead the children feel normal because they are with other children who have a similar condition as they have. Their motto is "we prescribe fun:" and the medical staff and camp staff pride themselves on it. The speaker cried during the presentation when she told how much she has been moved and impacted since coming to the center. If you would like to learn more about this awesome resource here in Kentucky, want to volunteer, or know someone who could benefit from this experience, please visit: http://www.thecenterforcourageouskids.org/.

After these two presentations, I was holding back the tears. I was so moved by the passion the two presenters had for their jobs, the impact they are making, and the lives they are touching. There is no doubt in my mind that God works with these people and these people are blessed beyond measure to do what they do. Leaving the conference, I thought of a quote I have at my desk and here on my blog which says, "Dear God, Help me to become something...MORE. I'm pretty sure that when you created me, I was meant for greater things". I have prayed this before and I think God was speaking to me today. Today, He showed me these forms of ministry and the opportunities that are out there that I just don't know about. I was moved. I am intrigued. I want to do something MORE. I want to stretch myself and do things that push me a little. It is in these moments God reveals Himself and you grow personally and spiritually.

In the adventure that Jace and I will soon embark on, I hope to discover more of these organizations, pray about it, and then work for one. I hope you will visit these websites and do whatever inspires you. I pray that we all do something...MORE.

No comments:

Post a Comment