Monday, March 24, 2014

Mommy are we going to crash?

Hey y'all! I am writing this completely jet lagged and have no idea what time my body is functioning on right now. If this post is crazy sounding its because I am sleep deprived and need a meal of substance that doesn't consist of peanuts and a coke. This week I am attending the National eXtension Conference in Sacramento, CA.

Can I just tell you about my flight? Now this story is being told by a Southern girl who is without child and who enjoys her sleep--keep all this in mind.

Jace dropped me off at the Gainesville airport which is approximately the size of our apartment. We had to ring a bell for a Delta representative to come and assistant us. The guy who helped me was the same guy who scanned my ticket to board the plane. I am sure that is what Gainesville airport calls efficiency and low-cost organization. Jace dropped me off early because I am one who would rather sit at the airport and have lots of time than to run and stress about missing my flight. My flight to ATL was supposed to leave at 3:39 PM. Well it got pushed back to 4:15, then 4:45, then 5:00, and the kicker was 5:45. I was about to Google, "what do you do if you miss your connection flight?" but thankfully the plane left ATL just in time and they bumped the arrival time from 5:45 to 5:00. With this flight time, I would still have plenty of time to make my connection flight.

Now during this whole time changing ordeal, some man was absolutely freaking out. He really needed a "help" pill like Mom had the other week. I was only worried about one thing: my chi. What if I miss my connection flight and they somehow loose my luggage, I would be without my beloved chi. I wasn't worried about having clean underwear or losing my Vera Bradley make-up bag, oh no, I was worried about my hair being straight. Priorities people, priorities.

After I boarded the plane in Gainesville, I was lucky enough to sit in front of a mother and her 3 year old child. Now, I don't have kids but have a deep desire to be a momma ONE DAY. That day was not yesterday. You want to know what isn't funny, cute, or comforting...when a 3 year old says, "Mommy, are we going to crash?". I immediately said the Lord's prayer and tried to focus on the book I was reading. This 3 year old was also the kid that threw down his tray table and my seat mate and I experienced our own joy-filled turbulence. Now, I know you mommas out there are rolling your eyes and saying, "Katie you just wait!". Well, guess what I am waiting and kiddos won't be arriving anytime soon!

I finally made it to ATL and to the 3 year old's surprise, we didn't crash. I found my gate but decided I had just enough time to grab a bite to eat. Now, I could have chosen something light and healthy before I sat for 5 hours but no, I ate something similar to General Tso's chicken with brown rice. What a dumb idea! I was popping peppermints like they were going out of style for the first hour and 30 minutes. Despite thinking about my overly full stomach, I proceeded to talk to my seat mate, who just so happens to be Italian, about pasta. I only wish I would have asked him for his grandmother's meatball recipe.

After asking the stewardess for the luxurious red Delta blanket, I think I slept some. Around 1:30 AM EST, I arrived in Sacramento. I rode the Super Shuttle to my hotel and if you have rode on a Super Shuttle you know what a pleasure they are. My driver was nice but y'all he played this CD and it sounded like something from Teak's generation and this lady was singing basically about sex but this CD was from like the 1940s. Do you want to listen to a sex-filled CD from the 40s in a van with strange people at 2 AM? Y'all I can't even make this stuff up. Anyway, I made it to hotel and felt like I needed a shower for more than one reason and fell into bed.

This afternoon the conference starts and I have already downed one large cup of coffee. Have a great Monday or whatever day it is y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!! So excited for you both and closer to home.. Road trip to Katie and Jace's..lol

    ReplyDelete